Re: st: Convert SAS input statement into Stata do file whileunable to access SAS program

From   "Eric G. Wruck" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Convert SAS input statement into Stata do file whileunable to access SAS program
Date   Wed, 11 May 2005 14:12:19 -0400

When you say you have the SAS inputs statement, it sounds like you have a little SAS program that reads in raw data to form a SAS data set.  Is this correct?  This is different from having SAS-formatted data sets.  SAS data sets you could simply convert into a Stata data set using Stat Transfer.  However, by looking at the SAS input statements, you should be able to figure out how to read it into Stata.  Do the SAS statements give the offsets (e.g., date 1-6 company 10-35, etc.)?  Is the raw file in comma separated value (csv) form?  You're going to have to provide more info, I'm afraid, to get better, more specific help.

Eric

>Dear listers,
>
>I have the SAS inputs statement for large datasets (NHIS: National Health Interview Surveys from the CDC), but I do not have the access to the SAS program. I understand that one can always manually convert the SAS inputs statement into Stata do files using a text editor.
>
>I search the archival of this list, and the latest post on this issue was Jan 2003.
>
>I wonder if anyone would suggest something that is more efficient and reliable than manually editing.
>
>I do have StatTransfer.
>
>Your help is very appreciated.
>Bo MacInnis

       Eric G. Wruck