Re: st: Launching Stata 9 from do files as -doedit-

From   "Renzo Comolli" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Launching Stata 9 from do files as -doedit-
Date   Tue, 10 May 2005 16:07:33 -0400

Thank you very much, Shannon. This solution radically improves the safety of
Stata 9, in my opinion.
Yet this solution was already available in Stata 8 (I think).
Now that there is Stata 9 it would be great if we could launch .do files (by
clicking them) in the DoEditor as a separate instance of the DoEditor in the
*same* instance of Stata (if one is already launced).

Best,
Renzo

----
*From   [email protected] (Shannon Driver, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Launching Stata 9 from do files as -doedit-
Date   Tue, 10 May 2005 11:13:58 -0500

----

Renzo Comolli <[email protected]> wrote:

> I would like to change the settings so that when I click on a .do file the
> doeditor is launched (as opposed to the default behavior, which is to -do-
> the file).
> Is that possible?

For Windows XP users, you can do the following:

     1. Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options to open the
"Folder
        Options" dialog
     2. Click on the "File Types" tab
     3. Scroll down the list to "DO     Stata Do-file" and highlight it by
        single clicking on it
     4. Click on the Advanced button towards the bottom of the dialog
     5. In the "Actions:" box, single click on "open" then click the
        "Edit..." button
     6. In the box under "Application used to perform action:", you should
see
        something like

             "C:\Program Files\Stata9\wsestata.exe" do "%1"

        The path and executable name here may differ, depending on where you
        actually installed Stata and which flavor you are running.

        Change the "do" part of this to "doedit".

             "C:\Program Files\Stata9\wsestata.exe" doedit "%1"

     7. Click on OK to close that dialog, OK to close the previous dialog,
and
        Close to close the Folder Options dialog.

--Shannon Driver