Re: st: count (Stata 8)

From   "Andres E. Hernando" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: count (Stata 8)
Date   Tue, 10 May 2005 11:24:15 -0400

Hi,

This would do it... but only for the last year:

. sort year
. by year: count if dxflag==1
. scalar cases = r(N)
. by year: count
. scalar total = r(N)
. scalar prev = cases/total
. di prev

basically r(N) stores only the last scalar reported so, eventually you'd need to put the above code within a forvalues/foreach cycle, maybe storing results in a vector.

But why to do it in this way? what's wrong with using a couple of egen and gen operators? I'm thinking:

. sort year
. by year: egen cac = count(year) if dxflag==1
. by year: egen cas = max(ct)
. drop cac
. by year: egen tot = count(year)
. gen prev = cas/tot