st: xtmixed multilevel fixed effects?

From   Buzz Burhans <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: xtmixed multilevel fixed effects?
Date   Thu, 05 May 2005 09:50:46 -0400

Am I correct in thinking that -xtmixed- enables use of random effects at a level 1 if a two level model, but not fixed effects at level 1? i.e. Can I have fixed effects at more than one level of a multilevel model using xtmixed? For instance, in the example 5, pg 191 of the Longtitudinal/Panel manual, where the equation "xtmixed gsp......|| region: hwy unemp || state:...." appears, is it possible to have a predictor at the "region" level that does not appear as a fixed effect in the fixed effect equation for gsp ~ ? For instance, suppose I wanted the term "railroads" at the region level only? Or alternately, suppose I want hwy and unemp as predictors for region, but not random effects of the fixed terms hwy and unemp?

Buzz Burhans

Buzz Burhans

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/