RE: st: RE: seasonality

From   "Ky Tran" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: seasonality
Date   Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:20:47 -0500

If you are serious about doing seasonal test, the best option is to use the
specialized softwares. They will have all the options for you to test. Doing
it as add-in, in my opinion, is not good because you will not be able to
access the latest techniques. There's a lot of other things you need to take
care before the seasonal test -- outliers, trading days, moving holidays...
I would suggest a very simple to use interface that includes both x12-ARIMA
and SEATS/TRAMO methods -- Demetra from Eurostat.
Best,
Ky Tran

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of kelly johnson
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 11:42 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: RE: seasonality

hi nick,

thank you for your reply. i express my seasonality question a bit clearer.
suppose we are looking at five years of stock retruns data. how can we test
for teh presence of seasonality in specific months?
if i were to do the typical adjustment, i'd first calculated the average
over teh entire time period, and divide my returns by that average. call the

new variable rtn_adj. then i would have to average, by month, to get the
seasonl adjsutement indices for each month (which should sum up to 12). i
can then retruns and multiply teh original data by each of the appropriate
seasonal adjsutemtn factor. My question: is there a simpler was to do this?
also, how can i do f-test to test teh presence of seasonality? to give youa
better idea, i'm attaching a sample of the data to give you an idea what i'm

looking at.

regards

kelly

Date	Returns