Re: st: RE: Export of a -tab3way- table in a tab-delimitedformat?

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Export of a -tab3way- table in a tab-delimitedformat?
Date   Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:38:44 +0100

You should probably use -xcontract- to create resultssets for each nonempty subset of the 3 variables, concatenate these resultssets to form a single long resultsset using -dsconcat- (also downloadable from SSC), sort this long resultsset by "Formation administrative", "Formation scientifique" and "Formation de gestion", and then use the official Stata command -reshape wide- on the resultsset to create a dataset with 1 obs per value of "Formation administrative" (including a missing value for the totals) and data on the 9 totals for the 9 combinations of "Formation scientifique" and "Formation de gestion" (including the totals). This final wide resultsset can then be output using -outsheet- or -listtex- to produce the generic spreadsheet you want.

Although Stata does not have a comprehensive table-generating utility like PROC TABULATE in SAS, Stata can usually create any table as a Stata dataset (or resultsset) with 1 obs per table row. This can usually be done using -dsconcat- and/or -reshape-. We can then use -outsheet-, -listtex-, StatTransfer etc. to reformat this table for delivery to the end user.

I hope this helps.

Roger