st: Re: Problem with embedded quotes in strings when using insheet

From   Chris Ruebeck <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Problem with embedded quotes in strings when using insheet
Date   Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:35:31 -0500

There may be a way to get Excel to stop producing the double quotes. But it might not work with tab-delimited files.

I've always resorted to a good text editor's find-and-replace after the save from Excel and before using insheet in Stata. For example, search on tab-quote-quote and replace with tab. For an editor, use something like TextPad if you're on a PC, a derivative of Alpha on the Mac (and Linux?), or a derivative of Emacs anywhere.

Asking Stata to figure out the quote characters will probably be far too much work.

Chris