Re: st: how to use inverse hyperbolic sine function

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to use inverse hyperbolic sine function
Date   Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:37:55 -0600

An inverse hyperbolic sine transformation is:
 IHS = log(z + sqrt(z^z + 1))

It is an alternative to log transformations when some of
the variables take on zero or negative values and as
an alternative to the Box-Cox when variables are zero or
negative.

See, for example:

Layton, David F, 2001. "Alternative Approaches for Modeling
Concave Willingness to Pay Functions in Conjoint Valuation,"
American Journalof Agricultural Economics, vol. 83(5), 1314-20.

Burbidge, John B., Lonnie Magee and A. Leslie Robb. 1988 "Alternative
Transformations to Handle Extreme Values of the Dependent Variable."
 Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 83, 123-127.

Scott