st: Adding a new variable to update a class of observations

From   Robin Newberry <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Adding a new variable to update a class of observations
Date   Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:12:37 -0500

I have some variables which denotes a sub-set of observations in the injury data which groups employees working together; typically there's a "department name" and a "department number". The issue is that the names and numbers identifying these categories have changed repeatedly over the last 15 years. An employee may have started out working in "Department A" progressed through departments B, C, and D without ever actually changing jobs, supervisors, etc. - all that's changed is the nomenclature. I don't believe we've ever duplicated and inadvertently renamed "Department A" to "Department D", then later renaming another group "Department A".

Somewhere we have a spreadsheet that tracks these changes, and I'd like to incorporate the changes to more or less normalize the data; that way I can track injuries amongst the folks who mow the grass, regardless of what their department is called. Is there a way to add a new variable, and equate it to an existing one?
--
Robin
W. Robert Newberry, IV CIH, CHMM

[email protected] [email protected]