Re: st: Programming question

From   Cameron Hooper <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Programming question
Date   Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:36:15 -0500

Hi

I agree that rollreg is probably the best solution. I started with Kit Baum's routine and just got to wondering if I could produce a quick and dirty solution that would work for my data. Since I knew nothing about programming in Stata, the dirty aspect has been realized but not the quick! Still, its been a good learning exercise and thanks to the replies I've received from people on this list I've learnt a lot in a short period of time.

Cheers,

Cameron

Nick Cox wrote:

Frankly, I think you will be better off starting with -rollreg-, notwithstanding the apparent quirk that Kit Baum is currently looking at.
For example, your draft code
assumes that your identifiers are all present within a sequence;
calculates the SD of residuals even though that is a result left behind by -regress-;
wires in your own particular variable names;
makes presumptions about the sort order of observations.
None of these is necessarily fatal, but the whole means that this program may not bear very much pressure.
Rolling regressions is a little tricky as a Stata programming problem. Even if it weren't it would make sense to start from Kit's program as the best that's visible in Stataland.
Nick [email protected]
Cameron Hooper