st: Quartz2D graph rendering may be problematic in MacOSX

From   "Smith, Daniel (DHS-DEODC-EHIB)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Quartz2D graph rendering may be problematic in MacOSX
Date   Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:50:12 -0800

I am experiencing no problems at all running this example.  Resizing works fine for me.  I am also using 10 Jan Intercooled Stata 8.2, with Mac OS X 10.3.8.  I run it on a 500 MHz G3 machine.

Daniel Smith, DrPH
Environmental Health Investigations Branch
California Dept of Health Services

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:40:15 +0200
From: Tom Trikalinos <[email protected]>
Subject: st: Quartz2D graph rendering may be problematic in MacOSX

Hi to all:

Seems that Stata's Quartz2D graphics rendering is problematic (MacOSX
flavor).

In some graphs the axis labels may be displaced.
This may be fixed with resizing of the graph window, or may get worse.
Reciprocally, resizing may displace otherwise perfectly drawn labels.

The following meaningless example reproduces the problem
. preserve
. sysuse auto, clear
. scatter mpg weight, ylabel(10 "1000" 20 30 "3000" 40, angle(0))  //
resizing fixes or distorts labels
. restore

A crude workaround is to use Quickdraw rendering. Exporting as eps, pdf
or whatever yields a perfect graph.
I recall that this was an issue a few months ago; may have surfaced
again after the most recent MacOSX update.

I'm running Intercooled Stata 8.2 (born 10 Jan 2005) on a fully updated
Mac (Panther 10.3.8)

tom