st: Quartz2D graph rendering may be problematic in MacOSX

From   Tom Trikalinos <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Quartz2D graph rendering may be problematic in MacOSX
Date   Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:40:15 +0200

Hi to all:

Seems that Stata's Quartz2D graphics rendering is problematic (MacOSX flavor).

In some graphs the axis labels may be displaced.
This may be fixed with resizing of the graph window, or may get worse.
Reciprocally, resizing may displace otherwise perfectly drawn labels.

The following meaningless example reproduces the problem
. preserve
. sysuse auto, clear
. scatter mpg weight, ylabel(10 "1000" 20 30 "3000" 40, angle(0)) // resizing fixes or distorts labels
. restore

A crude workaround is to use Quickdraw rendering. Exporting as eps, pdf or whatever yields a perfect graph.
I recall that this was an issue a few months ago; may have surfaced again after the most recent MacOSX update.

I'm running Intercooled Stata 8.2 (born 10 Jan 2005) on a fully updated Mac (Panther 10.3.8)

tom

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/