st: RE: xi regress: noconstant option

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: xi regress: noconstant option
Date   Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:45:08 -0000

does nothing different from

regress return country

so perhaps you mean

xi : regress return i.country

The latter model just fits
the means of return for each country.
It is essentially an alternative to
-anova-.

Adding the -nocons- option just
forces the mean for the first country,
or more generally the category omitted,
to 0 and leaves the other predictions
unchanged. I can't think of a scientific
or statistical reason to do that, but
that may be failure of imagination
or just plain ignorance on my part.

More generally, the rationale for