st: Re: How to plot bootstrap CI for the entire kernel estimation of y on x?

From   Eik Leong Swee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: How to plot bootstrap CI for the entire kernel estimation of y on x?
Date   Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:45:06 -0800 (PST)

Firstly, thanks so much for the reply. I'm not sure what is the difference between kernreg2 and
locpoly.

My theoretical understanding of kernel estimation (y on x) is a locally weighted averaging (using
a prespecified kernel function eg. normal or epanechnikov) method of fit where the bandwidth is
simply a measure of applying weights to distant observations. The optimal bandwidth is chosen to
minimise the mean itegrated squared error or so-called cross validation (CV).

Given the above, would you suggest I use kernreg2 or locpoly? Is the optimal bandwidth chosen in
each case using CV?

Another question is regarding graphing the kernel estimates and bootstrap confidence intervals. I
have seen in some journals where kernel regressions (y on x) were used and bootstrap CI were
plotted around the kernel estimates. I encountered 3 problems here. Firstly, I could not save
kernreg graphs like I could with scatter plots. Secondly, I know how to calculate bootstrap CI but
dont know how to plot them on a graph. Lastly, how do I plot both together on one graph?

I thank anyone who's able to offer advice here in advance.

Eik