st: Forcing stata to use a non-updated command

From   TEWODAJ MOGUES <[email protected]>
To   Stata _ <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Forcing stata to use a non-updated command
Date   Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:23:11 -0500

Hi Statalist,

A while back I did some analysis with xtabond. I noticed a problem
with the command and reported that on this list, after which a stata
programmer confirmed the problem. Since then I have updated my Stata
and my guess is that the updates reflect the fixed version of xtabond.

Here is my question. I want to find out whether the difficulty I am
having in replicating certain estimation results (using xtabond) I had
found in the past is due to the fact that the old estimation was run
on the faulty xtabond, or whether it'd due to something else such as
change in the datase, etc.. To check for the first possibility, I
tried to "un-update" xtabond on my Stata 7 by removing the ado files
relating to xtabond from the folder stata/updates/ado/x/ . When I try
to run the xtabond estimation after this removal, I get an error
message saying "you are using an outdated version of xtabond. To
update your ado-files, type -update ado- at the Stata prompt. r
(499); ". How can I bypass such an error message and "force" stata 7
to go ahead and use the unupdated xtabond?

Thanks!
Tewodaj

Tewodaj Mogues
Dept. of Agricultural and Applied Economics
University of Wisconsin - Madison
427 Lorch St. #317, Taylor Hall
Madison, WI 53706