RE: st: RE: test predicted values

From   "Dawit Lidia" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: test predicted values
Date   Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:39:47 +0000

Thanks Nichols, Nick, and Mark. Nichols got my question (E[Y|x1,x2,con=1] = E[Y|x1,x2,con=0]). Y1 and Y2 are different. Let me tell you the whole story in short as follow.

I am assessing the effect of soil conservation technology on crop yields (productivity) using plot level data. To do this I am following Fuglie and Bosch�s (1995) and Khanna�s (2001) work. Their work is similar to Lee�s (1978). They were estimated separate regression for technology adopters and non-adopters. From the regressions they estimated fitted values at representative values (mean) of some of the regressors and then they compared the mean predicted values. They used endogenous switching regression analysis.

What I posted is exogenous switching regression model. In my case as in the above authors, I divided the sample into those plots that adopt soil conservation technlogy and those that do not. In the regressions below the variable con== 1 indicates those who adopted the technology and con == 0 those that do not. The variable y1 and y2 also indicate yields obtained from adopters and non-adopter of soil conservation technology, respectively.

areg y1 x1 x2 if con ==1, absorb(hhno) cluster(hhno)
predict conhat if con ==1, xbd

areg y2 x1 x2 if con ==0, absorb(hhno) cluster(hhno)
predict wconhat if con ==0, xbd

Hope this will help. Thanks again for your help.
Dawit

Fuglie, K. O., and Bosch, D. J. 1995. Economic and Environmental Implications of Soil Nitrogen Testing: A Switching�Regression Analysis. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 77: 891- 900.
Khanna, M. 2001. Sequential adoption of site-specific technologies and its implication for nitrogen productivity: A double selectivity model. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 83(1): 35-51.
Lee, L.F. 1978. Unionism and wage rates: A simultaneous equations model with qualitative and limited dependent variables. International Economic Review 19(2):415-433.