st: US county map data available

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: US county map data available
Date   Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:24:53 -0600

Thanks to Kit Baum, a data file for US county geocode coordinates is
available on the SSC achieve.  This data file corresponds to the new file
lay out for versions 2.0 of Maurizio Pisati's excellent -tmap- program.
There are two zip files containing the county data file, an example do-file,
and example data set.  The combined county geocode data file is about 34 MB
and consists of 915,000 data points.

In version 1.2 of tmap (Stata Journal 4.4) there was a limitation of 1950
polygons.  This no longer seems to be a constraint.

It takes (on my machine) about 270 seconds to map out the county level data
for the 48 contiguous states.

-ssc desc usmaps2- for a description and use -net get usmaps2-.  Since these
are ancillary files ssc install will not work.

If there are any problems please let me know.

Scott