Re: st: Corrupted file due to file transfer?

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   Stata Listserver <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Corrupted file due to file transfer?
Date   Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:57:58 -0800 (PST)

I have not had that happen . . . yet.  But with all the file transfers
that occur in the world, it is probably likely to happen to everyone with
some file from some package at some time.  Thus, this may have nothing to
do with stata.

One thing to check is to be sure the file was transmitted via the binary
format/protocol.  If I transmit a *.doc file or a *.wpd file or a *.dta
file via ascii, it comes out screwy on the other side.  That *might*
explain the result.  Alternatively, computers do hiccup--some noise in the
line, a slight surge of power on a needed server--it is my understanding
that if the error-checking does not catch this (perhaps because it is
simultaneously but independently affected by something else) such a
problem could occur.

But, knowing me, I'd check my human error first. :-)

Hope this helps.
Sam