st: RE: tabulate and empty cells

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: tabulate and empty cells
Date   Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:04:32 -0000

Stata's not strong on metaphysics, in this
case on tabulating data you don't have but
might have had. The work-arounds appear
to be user-written.

One discussion of your problem was in

Problems with tables, Part II.
Stata Journal 3(4):420--439 (2003)

which reviewed two user-written commands, -tabcount-
and -groups-, aimed at this and related issues.

Both can be downloaded from SSC.

In your specific case, it is difficult to
see how you could get a row for "large" unless
that was a defined value label for a numeric
value not present in the data.

Andreas Stiehler