RE: RE: st: graphs linear regressions with dummies

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: RE: st: graphs linear regressions with dummies
Date   Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:41:37 -0000

Agreed. If it is important to extrapolate beyond
the estimation sample, you need to do that
yourself with -predict- calls, as in your original
posting. I personally prefer to emphasise the range
of the data on which the fit is based, but other
emphases have their own logic.

> One minor problem with using -separate- is that the dummy
> variables may not
> match range of the explanatory variable.
>
> For example,
>
> sysuse auto,clear
> xi: reg price mpg i.rep
> predict fit
> separate fit, by(rep) veryshortlabel
> twoway line fit? mpg,  ytitle(Predicted Price)
>
> will produce rather short lines for the dummy variables,
> which may not be desired.

Nick Cox