st: get summary files from svytab

From   "Markus Steiner" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: get summary files from svytab
Date   Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:24:41 -0000

Hello all,

I am quite new to Stata but experienced to SAS, and I have tried several
faq and the online help. The problem I am struggling in Stata now is how
to get the output from procedures like svytab into a file for further
usage.
What I am trying here is to get the counts (plus percentages at the same
time if possible) from svytab for further usage.

svytab dmethn sex if age >= 16, count format(%9.1f)

pweight:  scalewt               Number of obs      =     13947
Strata:   samp                  Number of strata   =         8
PSU:      area                  Number of PSUs     =       716
                                Population size    = 101246.44

-------------------------------------
derived   |            sex
ethnicity |     men    women    Total
----------+--------------------------
 caribbea |   367.2    503.1    870.2
   indian |   595.4    616.2   1211.7
 pakistan |   357.8    369.8    727.6
 banglade |   136.6    138.7    275.4
  chinese |    95.5    112.9    208.4
    irish |  1546.3   1988.2   3534.5
   core99 | 42975.6  51443.1  94418.7

    Total | 46074.4  55172.0  101246.4
-------------------------------------
  Key:  weighted counts

The problem here I can not use collate because of the weighting - using
[pweight=] I will get quite similar but not the same results as with
svytab.

I have tried parmby, but still does not get what I want, it saves the
percentages (with parameter names you have to guess what it was) but not
the count. That is what I get:

       parmseq   parm    estimate
  1.         1    p11   .00362659
  2.         2    p12   .00496864
  3.         3    p21   .00588117
  4.         4    p22   .00608655
  5.         5    p31   .00353386
  6.         6    p32    .0036525
  7.         7    p41   .00134933
  8.         8    p42    .0013703
  9.         9    p51   .00094364
 10.        10    p52   .00111474
 11.        11    p61   .01527235
 12.        12    p62   .01963738
 13.        13    p71   .42446516
 14.        14    p72   .50809779

To calculate the count you would need the population size from the
screen output, but it is not saved in this file. Then you could easily
calculate the count (and I would be happy...).

Are there any other ways I have not come across yet, which would do the
trick? In SAS it was quite easy to save your results, either with the
/out or /output option, depending on the procedure.

Any help is regarded,
thank you,
Markus

Markus Steiner, MSc