RE: st: Referencing Specific Cell in Panel Data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Referencing Specific Cell in Panel Data
Date   Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:16:36 -0000

I like Ichiro's solution. Another way to do it is

egen indicator = max(year == 1990 & index > 100 & index < .) , by(country)

Ichiro Fujikake

> If the first year is always 1990, this should do the job.
>
> bysort country (year): gen indicator= index[1]>100
>
> Otherwise, how about this?
>
> gen indicator=  year==1990 & index>100
> bysort country (indicator): replace indicator=indicator[_N]
>
> If index can be missing in 1990, you should also take care of it.

Jason Hwang