st: RE: Re: Unique identifier

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Unique identifier
Date   Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:47:44 +0100

As various people have pointed out,

1. -egen, group()- does this (although I'd point
to the -label- option as possibly useful)

2. what you did in fact supplied what you wanted.

In addition, you used -catenate-, which you
presumably got from SSC. I guess that it's my
fault that this is not flagged in its write-up
as a good idea only for Stata 5 users. Users of more
up-to-date Statas should use -egen, concat()- (in official
Stata 7 or 8, or in STB-50, Stata 6) for the same
purpose, concatenation of string variables.

Janet Willard