st: RE: Error occurred while loading movestay.ado

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Error occurred while loading movestay.ado
Date   Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:31:12 +0100

As a glance inside will confirm, -movestay- requires Stata 8.

The first sign of that for you is that Stata 7 can't even read it:
it's choking on comment lines that begin with //.

Your only options are (1) to upgrade to Stata 8
or (2) to get inside a copy of the program
and translate it back to Stata 7. As another
thread shows, the second requires some programming
expertise with both Stata 7 and Stata 8.
Successful translation may not even be possible.

In general, the news here is mostly bad. Very
occasionally a program author can look at a program
and find that it can be tweaked backwards, in this
case to Stata 7. Much more
commonly, Stata programmers are writing directly
for Stata 8 and have no time (or even inclination)
to rewrite their programs for those who haven't
upgraded. This is tough news for those whose (institutional)
budgets don't extend to buying an upgrade, but it is the
news nevertheless.

Nick
"maximum astonishment"
[email protected]