Re: st: ordered probit and panels

Subject   Re: st: ordered probit and panels
Date   Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:40:40 -0400

What exactly do you mean by "direction of correlation", and how is
that important? -cluster- provides a correction assuming that there is
a population of individuals who respond in similar ways -- that's the
main assumption behind the design-consistent estimators of variance.
You don't need to have any special correlation structure for -cluster-
correction to work. -gllamm-, in the model like

gllamm response explanatory, i(id) link(oprobit)

imposes a more specific structure of a single random effect,
underlying all observations for a single individual, and thus assumes
constant factor loading and homoskedasticity of the remaining error,
just like all -xt* , re- commands do, so it has a very specific
correlation structure in mind... unless you override it with your own.
Of course -gllamm- is substantially more flexible, so that you can
estimate models for thresholds with it, if that is of any relevance in
your research -- say you suspect perceptions change over time.

I would personally start with -oprobit , cluster- and see how that
goes, and then migrate to -gllamm- providing -oprobit- results as
starting values. I'd be surprised if they changed a lot -- say more
than a couple of standard errors -- in any of the parameters though.

--
Stas Kolenikov
http://stas.kolenikov.name