st: RE: Heckman on panels

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Heckman on panels
Date   Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:18:25 +0100

There is a simple procedure to check whether
your email reached Statalist: you should look
in the archives to see if it is there. This
should remove all need for sending repeat emails
just in case the original didn't get through. Also,
unless you receive the digest only, you should
receive a copy yourself within a matter of
minutes of sending it. (If you get the digest
only, you will need to look in the archives unless
the digest arrives just after your posting.)

As for why your mail was not answered, there
are general comments on this issue at

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#noanswer

For example, we have included this advice in the FAQ for
some years now:

"If you get no answer, you might be tempted to repost
the question, but please think twice before you do that.
The same post reappearing repeatedly strikes many
Statalist members as impatient and inconsiderate.
You had your chance, but no one wanted to answer the
question. Sorry!"

and I think it is clear from both private and public
emails that several Statalist members -- especially
the most active and the most experienced -- feel strongly
about that. To be candid, this particularly applies to
anyone who has no history of answering others' questions,
but suddenly starts a barrage of email about one of their
own.

As for myself, I didn't understand your question
at all, and cannot help. If nobody knows the answer,
you will get one thousand silences, not one thousand
messages to that effect.

hwiig