st: RE: Re: residuals over years

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: residuals over years
Date   Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:14:44 +0100

I vote for efficiency whenever possible, but
it is not clear that inefficiency is in
fact a major issue here. Stata's still
going to look at every observation to
decide whether it is true that year == `y'.

I tried the following experiments. You
can try too. Method 1 was actually
_slower_ on my machine, but there's not
much in it. The difference could be an artefact of
something or other, but it doesn't seem
a big deal either way. Of course, a couple
of little experiments are just that.

clear
set obs 10000
gen y = invnorm(uniform())