st: Re: looping with a command

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: looping with a command
Date   Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:57:44 -0400

Here is a quick-n-dirty that constructs the appropriate input statement. It should also check to see that the lists are of the right length. It could easily be extended to deal with the generates, sums, etc.

capt program drop devra
program devra,rclass
syntax ,Vars(integer) Len(numlist) At(numlist) Infix(string) Prefix(string)
di "want to read and massage `vars' vars"
di "with lengths `len'"
di "at locns `at'"
local inf "`prefix'"
local infend " using `infix'"
forv i=1/`vars' {
local l : word `i' of `len'
local a : word `i' of `at'
local inf "`inf' str`l' a`i' `a'"
}
local inf "`inf' `infend'"
file open devra using "/tmp/devra.do", write replace
file write devra "`inf'"
file close devra
end

To execute:
. devra, vars(3) len(3 5 4) at(21 39 48) infix(rawdata.txt) prefix(infix str name 1-5 str id 6-10)
want to read and massage 3 vars
with lengths 3 5 4
at locns 21 39 48

. type /tmp/devra.do
infix str name 1-5 str id 6-10 str3 a1 21 str5 a2 39 str4 a3 48 using rawdata.txt

Kit