Re: st: Osius-Rojek, Stukel's goodness of fit tests for Logistic Regression

From   Jim Hancock <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Osius-Rojek, Stukel's goodness of fit tests for Logistic Regression
Date   Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:51:04 +0930

Dear Brian

I can't answer your specific question on how to implement these tests,
but one interesting consideration of goodness-of-fit (as opposed to
significance) is J.S. Cramer (1999), 'Predictive performance of the
binary logit model in unbalanced samples', The Statistician, 48, Part 1,
pp. 85-94.

He proposes a measure 'lambda' which is a measure of how much better
your model does than if you just used uniform probabilities to predict
the binary outcome.  If you do no better than the naive 'uniform
probability' assumption lambda is zero;  if you improve by 100 per cent
(i.e. predict perfectly) lambda is 1.  He argues that lambda is
analagous to R-squared in linear regression.

I've used this on large unit record databases where the regressions are
highly significant but the lambda is very low, with the model predicting
only 5% better than the naive uniform probability assumption - obviously
a significant qualification to the high statistical significance.

Hope this helps

Jim

--
Jim Hancock
Deputy Director

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s)  and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not
the intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and
immediately delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this
email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
prohibited. No representation is made that this email or any attachments
are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the
responsibility of the recipient.