Re: st: Reversing an -update-

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Reversing an -update-
Date   Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:36:06 +0100

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:18:55 -0400
"Renzo Comolli" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The post here below made me wonder whether it is possible to reverse an
> executable update manually.
> If I remember well, in Stata 7 the swapping of the executable was done by
> hand, so the .old executable would have remained in the windows recycle bin.
> What happens to the old exectuble in Stata 8 (once Stata has restarted and
> has determined that it is working properly)? Is it erased from the disk?

Have a look at the file where Stata is installed, under Linus I have amongst other things...

$ ls /usr/local/stata/ -lh
total 23M
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2.0M Jul 27 16:09 stata*
-rwxr-x--x    1 188      users        1.9M Sep  9  2003 stata-se*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           67 Dec  3  2003 stata.lic
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2.0M Jul  2 15:37 stata.old*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 188      users        3.0k Sep 29  2003 stata_br*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2.6M Jul 27 16:09 xstata*
-rwxr-x--x    1 188      users        2.5M Sep  9  2003 xstata-se*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2.6M Jul  2 15:37 xstata.old*

(I haven't installed the latest update as the site temporarily unavailable at the moment).

Where you look under windows depends on where Stata is installed, you can find this out by right-clicking on the shortcut you use to start Stata (even if its in the Start menu, although this may not work on older versions of windows), and select Properties from the menu.

In the pop up box that appears will be the path to the Stata executable, so you can then use windows explorer to have a look in that folder.

I'm afriad I've not used Macs so can't comment on them.

HTH's

Neil
--
Answer   : Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion

http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/