st: RE: New package for easy handling of compressed datasets

From   "Wallace, John" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: New package for easy handling of compressed datasets
Date   Mon, 4 Oct 2004 09:40:18 -0700

FWIW, I installed the package on my Windows machine to see what happens.
-gzsave- works admirably; the 55MB file I tested it with was compressed to
3MB.  Unfortunately -gzuse- couldn't handle the extraction of the dataset;
the compressed file has a stata temporary name with a .tmp extension which
didn't get renamed to .dta during extraction, so Stata delivers an error
message.

r610: file C:\DOCUME~1\jwalla\LOCALS~1\Temp\ST_0500000e.tmp not Stata format

I manually extracted and renamed the file and stata worked with it just fine
however, so if someone wants to make a Windows port of the package it
shouldn't take much work.  I'll use it anyway as an archiving tool for the
moment.

I should note that my system has WinRAR on it, which is gz capable.  It may
be that a Windows computer without WinRAR (or something like it) wouldn't
work with the gzsave package.

-JW