st: RE: Re: tabstatmat repeatedly

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: tabstatmat repeatedly
Date   Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:05:46 +0100

Following Michael's optimistic assumption:
the -collapse- syntax can be generated automagically:

foreach v of var v1-v100 {
	local text "`text' (mean) `v' (sd) sd`v' = `v'"
}

collapse `text' , by(category)

Michael Blasnik

> I think you may want to use -collapse- and outsheet to get
> the stats you
> want, but I'm not sure what you mean by category_`X' in your
> commands -- do
> you have a different categorical variable breakout for each of the 100
> variables?  Assuming that you dont,
>
> collapse v1 - v100 , by(category)
>
> will give you a dataset of means by category.  Then
>
> collapse (sd) v1-v100 , by(category)
>
> will give you std devs.  You can combine the two commands,
> but then you have
> to type out new names for all 100 std dev vars.. Instead you can
> use -renvars- to rename them after the fact and then use
> -merge- to combine
> the means and std.  devs.  You may then want to re-order the
> vars and then
> use -outsheet- to dump them to a text file.

Camelia Minoiu