st: RE: Michaelis-Menten and regression

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Michaelis-Menten and regression
Date   Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:23:43 +0100

Michaelis-Menten function fitting is a can of worms.
The main thing is to be aware of that and to have
looked at the literature on it. There is
a lot, going back decades; do not try to reinvent
wheels without reading first.

_Biometrics_ is a good journal here. You may be able to
exploit stuff on http://www.jstor.org

However, in Stata one attractive route is to reformulate
the problem as a generalised linear model with reciprocal
link.

See the exchange in

Generalized Linear Models for Enzyme-Kinetic Data
J. A. Nelder; D. Ruppert; N. Cressie; R. J. Carroll
Biometrics 47(4) (Dec., 1991), pp. 1605-1615

which I haven't read for some years, so the memories
are hazy. As I recall, the main idea is this. You have

y = ax / (1 + bx)

so

1/y = 1 / ax + b / a

Let us define

X =  1/x

and reparameterise

A = 1 / a

B = b / a

We then have

1/y = AX + B

and the right-hand side is then a piece of cake.
The left-hand side we take care of by
using a reciprocal link, another piece of cake
with -glm-.

In Stata terms

. gen rec_x = 1 / x
. glm y rec_x, link(power -1)

Of course, all this is just algebra with the
deterministic curve and says
nothing about error structure.

Nelder I guess recommends using a gamma
family.