st: RE: RE: renaming contents of local macros

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: renaming contents of local macros
Date   Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:06:28 +0100

To expand on this a little, without giving
the whole story:

1. A macro is a named string. So in

local unlucky "13"

the macro has name -unlucky-, and contents
"13".

2. When you go

local fitted "`endog'"

all you are doing is saying "the local with name
-fitted- should now have the contents of the macro
with the name -endog-". If -fitted- didn't exist before,
it is created; if it did, its contents are overwritten.

3. In your case -fitted- previously contained the
names

__000003 __000005 __000007

which from context are names of temporary variables.
Note that nothing you are doing above -rename-s those
temporary variables. They keep whatever names they had
before.

Also, note that if you ran this program again the
names might look different. This is a matter of Stata's
internal housekeeping. If I go

tempvar lucky

Stata reserves some name -- it might be __000008 -- and
it established a little rule for itself: if I refer to
`lucky', this means __000008 (unless and until I overwrite
the contents of -lucky-).

Nick Cox