st: a program to make dummy variables

From   "Lim, Nelson" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: a program to make dummy variables
Date   Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:13:55 -0700

Hope you can help me.

I am trying to create dummies variables from a categorical variable and
want to have value labels of the categorical variable to be the names of
the dummy variables.

For example, I have a variable called race_n:

      Numeric |
   version of |
         race |      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
--------------+-----------------------------------
        Asian |      1,692        3.19        3.19
        White |     41,311       77.90       81.09
     Hispanic |      2,237        4.22       85.30
        Black |      6,770       12.77       98.07
Native Indian |        272        0.51       98.58
        Other |        752        1.42      100.00
--------------+-----------------------------------
        Total |     53,034      100.00

I want to create 6 dummies whose names are the value labels of race_n.
For example, I would like to have the first dummy variable to be called
Asian.

I wrote a program called my_dummy. It seems to work, but when I describe
the data, I get the following. The dummies only take the first letter of
the variable.

. describe

----              storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
----
A               byte   %8.0g                  race_n == 1
C               byte   %8.0g                  race_n == 2
H               byte   %8.0g                  race_n == 3
N               byte   %8.0g                  race_n == 4
T               byte   %8.0g                  race_n == 5
X               byte   %8.0g                  race_n == 6
----

/* beginning of the program */
program define my_dummy

version 8

/* computing the maximum value of the variable */
tempvar max1
egen `max1'=rmax(`1')
tempvar max2
egen `max2'=max(`max1')
local maxval=`max2'

/* generating the set of dummy variables */
forvalues i = 1/`maxval' {
egen resp`i' = eqany(`1'), v(`i')
}

/* naming the value labels of the original variable */
 */ to the dummy variables

tokenize `1'
local j = 1
forvalues i = 1/`maxval' {
local labval`j' : label `1' `i'
local j = `j' + 1
}

local i 1
local j 1
while `i' == `j' & `i' <= `maxval' {
rename resp`i' `labval`j''
local i = `i' + 1
local j = `j' + 1
}

end

my_dummy race_n

. describe

----              storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
----
A               byte   %8.0g                  race_n == 1
C               byte   %8.0g                  race_n == 2
H               byte   %8.0g                  race_n == 3
N               byte   %8.0g                  race_n == 4
T               byte   %8.0g                  race_n == 5
X               byte   %8.0g                  race_n == 6
----

may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.