Re: st: Binomial confidence intervals

Subject   Re: st: Binomial confidence intervals
Date   Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:03:16 -0500

At 11:47 AM 9/8/2004 +0100, Paul Seed wrote:
Dear all,

As I don't have access to a decent Stats library here, I tried to obtain
the recommended paper (Brown, Cai, & DasGupta.
Interval Estimation for a Binomial Proportion. Statistical Science, 2001,
16, pp. 101-133.)  over the internet; but it is currently behind a "rolling
firewall", until 2005.

Would anyone who has seen it hazard a comment on which of the
new methods  - Wilson, Jeffreys or Agresti they would prefer for
small samples.
A few key quotes:

p. 115 - "Based on this analysis, we recommend the Wilson or the equal-tailed Jeffreys prior interval for small n (n is less than or equal to 40). These two intervals are comparable in both absolute error and length for n is less than or equal to 40, and we believe that either could be used, depending on taste."

p. 115 - "For larger n, the Wilson, the Jeffreys and the Agresti�Coull intervals are all comparable, and the Agresti�Coull interval is the simplest to present....we recommend the Agresti�Coull interval for practical use when n is greater than or equal to 40. Even for small sample sizes, the easy-to-present Agresti�Coull interval is much preferable to the standard one."

p. 113 - "The Clopper�Pearson interval is wastefully conservative and is not a good choice for practical use."

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]