Re: st: Binomial confidence intervals

From   Constantine Daskalakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Binomial confidence intervals
Date   Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:41:24 -0400

At 02:17 PM 9/7/2004, Roberto G. Gutierrez, StataCorp wrote:

The exact interval used by -ci, binomial- is the Clopper-Pearson interval,
but you must realize that "exact" is a bit of a misnomer.  It is exact in the
sense that it uses the binomial distribution as the basis of the calculation.
However, the binomial distribution is a discrete distribution and as such its
cumulative probabilities will have discrete jumps, and thus you'll be hard
pressed to get (say) exactly 95% coverage.
I do not think this is correct. For the CI, it is the parameter space, not the sample space, that matters (and the former is continuous). In other words, if we have k successes out of N trials, we are looking for limits {p_l, p_u}, such that

Pr [K <= k | p_l] = a/2

and

Pr [K >= k | p_u] = a/2

In general, there exist such limits that correspond to tail probabilities of (exactly) a/2. The fact that the sample space is highly discrete (when N is small) has nothing to do with it. The only exception is when the observed number of successes is either 0 or N; in that case, one limit is on the boundary of the parameter space (p_l=0 or p_u=1) and the corresponding tail probability on that side is exactly 0, not a/2 (as the manual correctly points out).

Or, am I missing something?

The documents accompanying this transmission may contain confidential health or business information. This information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and arrange for the return or destruction of these documents.

Constantine Daskalakis, ScD
Assistant Professor,
Biostatistics Section, Thomas Jefferson University,
211 S. 9th St. #602, Philadelphia, PA 19107
Tel: 215-955-5695
Fax: 215-503-3804
Email: [email protected]
Webpage: http://www.jefferson.edu/medicine/pharmacology/bio/