Re: st: overidxt with random effects

From   "Mark Schaffer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: overidxt with random effects
Date   Tue, 07 Sep 2004 16:28:25 +0100

Katie,

A couple of years ago I hacked away at overidxt so that it handled
random effects.  It's not entirely satisfactory in its handling of
finite sample corrections etc, which is partly why I didn't make it
more widely available, but it's probably usable for your purposes.
If you contact me off-list, I'll send it to you and we can see if it
does what you want.

As for Sargan vs. Hansen's J, this is partly just a terminological
issue, and conventions vary.  Usually, Sargan's stat refers to non-
heteroskedasticity-robust statistic, even if the var-cov matrix isn't
diagonal, and Hansen's J refers to some sort of robust version.  But
this isn't always the case.  For example, the reporting used by
xtabond follows Arellano-Bond (1991) and refers to a "Sargan
statistic" throughout; in fact, the "one-step Sargan" is a non-het-
robust stat based on a var-cov matrix with some off-diagonal
correlations, and the "two-step Sargan" is a heteroskedasticity-
robust version that many (including -xtabond2-) would call a "J"
statistic.  Others now refer to a "Sargan-Hansen" or a "Hansen-
Sargan" statistic to cover all cases.

Cheers,
Mark