st: Accessing tempvars

From   Ed Blackburne <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Accessing tempvars
Date   Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:12:18 -0500

I have a problem that has surely been answered in the past - I cannot, however, figure this out.

I want to access a temporary variable with a compound name.

The (obviuosly incorrect) code fragment is:

foreach __ids of global ReS_jv2 {
tempvar x`__ids'
quie gen ``x'`__ids''=0
}

I have also tried gen `x'`__iids'.

To more specific, I want to be able to generate temporary variables of, say, x1 x2 x3 x4, and be able to access them by name in my code.

The only combination of ` and ' and " that works in the gen statement is one that adds x1, x2, etc to the dataset - ie, not temporary.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

-Ed

Edward F. Blackburne
Associate Professor