st: modelling asynchronous interval-censored data with time-varyingcovariates

From   Angus Campbell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: modelling asynchronous interval-censored data with time-varyingcovariates
Date   Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:32:00 +1000

Dear Stata-listers,

I inadvertantly left the subject off this post when I put it up 2 days ago, so am re-posting in case it was overlooked.

I am attempting survival analysis of asynchronously interval-censored data. Some of my covariates start out equal to zero (before the subjects acquire particular attributes) but at later, different, times take on a value which then remains constant. I've used -stsplit- to set this up. I would like to analyse this time-varying characteristic in the model if possible.

I can find techniques that handle interval censored data, or time-varying covariates, but not both. The asynchronous interval censoring seems to be the sticking point. I have tried using -stpm- but can't make it work with the stsplit data if I also try to specify interval-censoring.

Here is an example of a 'fail' & 'non-fail' record:

. st
-> stset dayssurv, id(record) failure(fail)

id: record
failure event: fail != 0 & fail < .
obs. time interval: (dayssurv[_n-1], dayssurv]
exit on or before: failure

. list record _t0 _t _d dayssurv fail left invwwt gr2t if record ==1 | record ==801, noobs

| record _t0 _t _d dayssurv fail left invwwt gr2t |
| 1 0 60 0 60 . 60 .048 0 |
| 1 60 100 0 100 . 100 .048 0 |
| 1 100 150 0 150 . 150 .048 0 |
| 1 150 180 0 180 . 180 .048 .051 |
| 1 180 210 0 210 . 210 .048 .051 |
| 1 210 288 0 288 0 288 .048 .051 |
| 801 0 60 0 60 . 60 .364 0 |
| 801 60 100 0 100 . 100 .364 0 |
| 801 100 143 1 143 1 100 .364 0 |

* 'invwwt' isn't time-varying; gr2t is; 'left' == _t if no failure within the interval; left == _t0 if failure occurs within the interval

. xi: stpm invwwt gr1 gr2t gr3t i.sex, left(left) scale(hazard) df(2)
i.sex _Isex_0-100 (naturally coded; _Isex_1 omitted)
cannot have both interval censoring and late entry
r(198);

Is anyone aware of techniques I can use in Stata to model this kind of situation, please?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Angus Campbell
Dr Angus Campbell
The Mackinnon Project
Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Melbourne
250 Princes Highway
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
*
* For searches and help try: