st: RE: RE: Interaction with an instrumented variable - IV

From   "Nichols, Austin" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Interaction with an instrumented variable - IV
Date   Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:59:08 -0400

I've just posted a draft program on my website
	http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nicholsa/stata
that reports the statistic required for the tests proposed by Stock and Yogo
(at http://www.nber.org/papers/T0284) but I can't guarantee it works.  Would
someone on the list be willing to give it a test drive? Just type
	net from http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nicholsa/stata
and TIA for any feedback!

-----Original Message-----
From: Nichols, Austin [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 10:02 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: st: RE: Interaction with an instrumented variable - IV

You've got two endogenous variables, just as if you had another endogenous
variable X4 and you did not realize that X4=X2*X3.  But if Z is a valid
instrument, and X3 is truly exogenous, then Z*X3 is a valid instrument, too.
You can use -ssc install ivreg2- and -ivreg2 `varlist', ffirst- to see if
your two instruments do in fact have enough power.  Also see Stock and Yogo
at http://www.nber.org/papers/T0284 for superior tests for the presence and
effect of weak instruments.  My guess is that you will wind up needing
another instrument W in the end.