RE: st: ivreg2 and panel group heteroscedasticity

From   "Jeffry Jacob" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: ivreg2 and panel group heteroscedasticity
Date   Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:04:50 -0500

Hi Mark,
Thanks again.
The problem with FGLS would be that my T(21, or 3yr avg=7) is less than
N(48). Xtpcse is an alternative, but then again, it assumes exogeneity.
You are right that allowing for arbitrary within panel correlation when
actually there is no autocorrelation imposes unnecessary requirements on
the data (using cluster option). Moreover, cluster assumes E(sigma_i,
sigma_j)=0 for all t.
So, if I understand it correctly, in the presence of endogeneity , it
may not be possible to get the right standard errors if there is
heteroscd. and cross panel correlation. To extend it further, if the
model is dynamic in nature, xtabond2 , twostep may also not give correct
std. errors because it also corrects only for arbitrary heteroscd. How
would one proceed in this case? Bootstrap? Could anyone shed some light
on it.
One thing which is clear though is that in the case of not cross-panel
correlation, -cluster- is the best option.
Thanks for your time.
Jeffry