st: dummy variables with desmat

From   Tim Wade <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: dummy variables with desmat
Date   Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:54:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Statalisters:

I have recently been using John Henrickson's excellent
and much needed "desmat" program for some logistic
regressions. When I run a model with over 10 or so
variables, together with either the desrep(all) or the
defcon(dir) options, the order of the dummy variables
(_x_1 _x_2, etc.) created changes from the order in
which they were specified in the model. If I do not
use either the desrep or the defcon options, the order
of the dummy variables created is the same as the way
I specified the model. In other words, the dummy
variable represented by the second term is no longer
_x_2. This is troubling because I am trying to
automate a loop to run the same linear combinations
with every model while controlling for different
factors. Is this a feature of the command? If so, why
does the order of these variables change.

Thanks very much for any insights, Tim

=====