Re: st: How to perform Hausman test for random effects specification with survey data

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], "James W. Shaw" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: How to perform Hausman test for random effects specification with survey data
Date   Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:58:19 +0100 (BST)

James,

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but might be helpful anyway.

It's possible to implement a version of the Hausman test that is robust to
heteroskedasticity and hence (I think) clustered, probability-weighted
data.

You can do this by carrying out the artificial regression version of the
test.  This seems particularly appropriate in your case since in step (3)
of your estimation below, you are estimating the GLS version via a
regression on the quasi-demeaned data.  To do the artificial regression
version of the Hausman test, you run the same regression but include the
time-varying regressors after you have time-demeaned them.  The Hausman
test is just a Wald test of the significance of the coeffs on these time-
demeaned additional regressors.

The convenience of this for your application is that if you estimate this
artificial regression using -robust- and -cluster-, you should get a
Hausman test that is suitable for your clustered, probability weighted
data.

You can find a full description of this artificial regression test in
Wooldridge's (2002) book, Econometric Analysis of Cross-section and Panel
Data, pp. 290-91.  Note that when Wooldridge recommends on p. 291 that the
Wald test is robust to serial correlation as well as heteroskedasticity,
he is in effect recommending using -cluster- together with -robust-.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mark

Quoting "James W. Shaw" <[email protected]>:

> Dear Statalisters:
>
> I have a question about Stata's -suest- command that I hope someone
> may be
> able to answer for me.  I have seen it asked by others a few times
> before
> over the past year without any response.
>
> It is my understanding that the Hausman test, which is often used
> evaluate the consistency of the estimates from random effects
> models, cannot
> be used with survey (ie, clustered, probability-weighted) data.  I
> was
> wondering if the -suest- command could be used to implement a valid
> version
> of the Hausman test (for comparing random and fixed effects
> specifications)
> for use with survey data.  I have done so using the code given at
> the end of
> this message.
>
> Some background first.  I have data from a multistage probability
> sample of
> the US population (n=3773) with oversamples of blacks and Hispanics.
>  I am
> interested in estimating a design-consistent model allowing for a
> respondent-level random effect.  I wish to compare the random
> effects
> specification against the corresponding fixed effects model using
> the
> Hausman test.  To estimate the random effects model, I do the
> following:
>
> (1) generate weighted estimates of the variance components
> (2) apply a GLS transform to the data
> (3) estimate the model from the transformed data using -regress-
>
> According to Korn and Graubard, the above procedure may not always
> work.  It
> does in my case because I have a large number of sufficiently large
> PSUs.
> The parameter estimates and standard errors I get are equivalent to
> those
> derived when using SUDAAN (which estimates the corresponding
> covariance
> pattern model).
>
> To perform the Hausman test, I do the following:
>
> (1) I concatenate the GLS-transformed and original data using
> -append-
> (2) Using -regress- with the score option, I estimate the random
> effects
> model from the GLS-transformed data and save the estimates
> (3) Using -regress- with the score option, I estimate the fixed
> effects
> model from the original data (including dummies for respondents) and
> save
> the estimates
> (4) I perform the simultaneous estimation using -suest- with the svy
> option
> (5) I perform Hausman's test for the consistency of the random
> effects model
> by testing the difference between the two coefficient vectors
> [...]

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3008
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.