Re: st: RE: Rescaling

From   Cordula Stolberg <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Rescaling
Date   Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:34:56 +0100

Nick,

Thanks for your help. I have rescaled the response variable and it works.

Cordula

--On 09 August 2004 18:03 +0100 Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

The units of the intercept are the same
as those of the response. As I understand
it, you can restate in other units exactly
as convenience or whim dictates. No
statistical issue arises.

Cordula Stolberg

Is there any way to rescale the constant in an OLS
regression? I had to
rescale one independent variable because the differences in
the units of
measurements caused huge standard errors in that variable.
The rescaling
solved the problem for that particular variable, but I have
still the same
problem of a very large coefficient and standard error for
the intercept
term. Is there any way to deal with this (what I would
basically like to do
is to multiply the constant by 1000)?