st: Two new items on SSC: gen_tail & carryforward

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Two new items on SSC: gen_tail & carryforward
Date   Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:03:56 -0400

Hi everyone;

I would like to announce two packages that have been recently been added to the SSC archives. Both may be useful in dataset construction.

gen_tail: This generates an indicator variable, indicating the "tail end" of a series of observations. The tail starts at the first nonzero value of the input variable and continues until the end of the dataset or by-group. In other words, it identifies those observations that are at or beyond a certain point. (I know this is simple, but I had been doing it repeatedly, so I made it into a program.) I have used this for censoring observations in time-series data.

carryforward: This will carry values forward from one observation to the next, filling in missing values with the previous value. It also has a provision to "carry along" ancillary variables. (Again, simple, but I had been doing it repeatedly, so I made it into a program. )

Thanks to Kit Baum for placing these in the SSC archives.
-- David

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies
Johns Hopkins University