st: Re: reproducible graphs

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: reproducible graphs
Date   Wed, 4 Aug 2004 08:44:39 -0400

On Aug 4, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Fred wrote:

Often enough I find myself making ad hoc graphs, by which I mean graphs
that are not a part of a saved do or ado file. Sometimes I come back to
those graphs and want to alter something. However, the graph statement no
longer exists, and I may not even know which .dta file was used. Would it
be possible to have the graph program save such information? One way I have
been doing this, but it seems awkward, is to save a dta file with just the
variables I need, then attach the graph statement as a note.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or comments on this idea?
Read Vince Wiggins' London talk. A Stata 8 graph indeed carries within it all of the underlying data used in its construction (which you may recover as Stata variables), and may be reworked as you wish by changing various elements of the styles used to produce the graph.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/