st: xtlogit and logistic-cluster (REVISED)

From   Ricardo Ovaldia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: xtlogit and logistic-cluster (REVISED)
Date   Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:17:25 -0700 (PDT)

Dear _all,

Because I did not get any replies to my previous post,
I decided to rework my question more explicitly:

I am comparing the hospital referral rate of CHD
patients by 50 physicians. I would like to model the
rate using both patient and physician characteristics.
Because patient referrals are most likely not
independent within physician, I though to use
conditional logistic regression grouping on physician
ID to model the outcome. The problem with this
approach is that because physician characteristics do
not vary within physician they are dropped.  I
decided, therefore, to use random effects logistic
regression, -xtlogit- instead. My concern is that I am
not sure that I can correctly justify this approach
solely on the above argument. Does anyone have any
thoughts or literature I can read regarding this
justification, or am I way off track?

Thank you,
Ricardo.