st: searching the notes

From   Roger Harbord <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject   st: searching the notes
Date   Tue, 03 Aug 2004 19:29:09 +0100

Is there any way of searching all the -notes- for a given string? I find -lookfor- very useful when dealing with datasets with many variables but it would be even more useful if it had a -, notes- option to allow searching of the notes attached to the variables too. Alternatively maybe if -notes list- had a -, find(string)- option..?

I realise that you need to have a lot of notes in your dataset to find this useful - we do here as our database manager has set up a clever system (don't ask me how it works) to export from Access to Stata so each Field Description in Access becomes a note attached to that variable in Stata. (The Field Descriptions are too long to make useful variable labels and often exceed the limit of 80 characters for variable labels.)

Thanks,
Roger.
Roger Harbord mailto:[email protected]
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/