st: RE: Re: RE: Multiple commands under "By varlist"?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: RE: Multiple commands under "By varlist"?
Date   Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:22:01 +0100

Interesting, but your interpretation of the timings
conflates two distinct issues. Also, it should not be
generalised without care.

1. The interpretative overhead of -while-
(e.g. as compared to -forval- or -by:-
when the approaches are comparable).

2. The way -if- is implemented. The
command

	regress returns factor if `i' == month

is implemented by testing every observation
to see whether it should be included in
the regression. In your case 99.9% of
the observations are irrelevant to each
regression, but Stata takes no special
action to avoid that. You should be
able to substitute -if- by -in-:

gen long obsno = _n
sort month port
forval i = 1/1000 {
	local min = ...
	local max = ...
	regress returns factor in `min'/`max'
}

and by Blasnik's Law this should be much faster.

In short, your -while- loop is slow mostly
because of what happens within it, or so
I guess.

Note that my code was based, in the absence
of precise information, on a guess that
-month- took on 12 distinct values. As
your -month- variable takes on 1000 values,
other approaches become very competitive.
That is, doing something 12 times, on
each which 11/12 of the data are irrelevant,
is not the same as doing something 1000
times, on each of which 999/1000 of the
data are irrelevant.

You comment

> Given this, it would be really wonderful to be able to
> execute multiple commands under -by-...
> Some wishful thinking!

but this isn't wishful thinking at all, as I indicated,
so long as you are willing to do programming.
See help -byable-.

Subhankar Nayak

> I tried the -statsby- command as Scott Merryman suggested and
> the -forval-
> command that you are suggesting. But both these take almost
> exactly the same
> amount of time as the -while- looping command... (Given my
> program code,
> each simulation round is taking about 240-330 seconds, and I
> have got 1000
> simulation rounds, if not more).
>
> The -by- command is so much faster than the -while- command...
>
> If I compare
>
> by month: regress returns factor
>
> vs.
>
> local i = 1
> while i <= 1000 {
> regress returns factor if `i' == month
> local i = `i' + 1
> }
>
> I find that the -by- command is atleast 15-20 times faster
> than the -while-
> loop.
> Given this, it would be really wonderful to be able to
> execute multiple
> commands under -by-...
> Some wishful thinking!

Nick Cox